Jodi's Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2006

How does one love the sinner, yet hate the sin?

I'll cut to the chase here.................My brother, Jamie, age 46, is in the middle of divorcing my sister-in-law, Kim.............and I am actually OK with this. How can this be, you say, since God hates divorce? Well, I believe He also hates alcoholism that destroys marriage, family, self, etc. Kim is an alcoholic, but will not and has not ever admitted to this. Her third DUI will be netting some jail time soon for a couple of months. There are two kids in the family, a senior girl in high school----E, and her brother, my nephew, J, a sophomore. There have been many past years of counseling, half-way houses, de-tox, re-hab, and police coming to take a drunken Kim to the hospital, and then much more of the same for many, many years. There is a restraining order for Kim not to enter her home due to the drunkeness.

I asked Jamie if he wanted me to visit her and give her any personal hygiene items or food, whatever (never $ because that would end up being used for booze) to help her out. He said no because she would either be drunk or would rant and rave about how lousy Jamie was for divorcing her. The kids are also in total agreement with the divorce since they have also been so affected by her awful alcoholic binges.

So, I pray for all of them........for Kim to know Lord and peace/sanity for Jamie and kids.
Alcoholism then even affects the extended family and beyond. This is so very sad. Their marriage is currently the total antithesis of what God intended a marriage to be.

Anybody reading this, please pray right now for these four people. I thank you.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger HeyJules said…

    I certainly will...

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Jojo said…

    Hi Jodi,
    Yes, addictions are so crippling and destroying. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I will be praying for them.

    I don't know how much contact you have with Kim or how open she would be, but there is a guy who has published a book online about his freedom from alcoholism. She might benefit from reading it.
    http://stevesporre.blogspot.com

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger JodiTucker said…

    Val,

    I have read through all of Steve's Into the Mirror and would love to recommmend it to her except I do not believe she has computer access at her current place that many others live in. At this point, she would probably not be receptive to it.....maybe in jail though she might be??

     
  • At 5:31 AM, Blogger JodiTucker said…

    ooops, sorry Jojo......i meant Jojo not Val, but Val would probably comment something similar!

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Valerie said…

    Jodi: That's funny - what JoJo said is EXACTLY what I was going to say - I was going to recommend Steve's blog, too, because it is so compelling and raw.

    Anyway, the other thing I wanted to say is just that all of you are in my prayers. My dad was an alcoholic, and it wasn't exactly a pretty sight to see him drunk. It affects the kids in such profound ways, but it sounds like your niece and nephew are "handling" the divorce. I also agree that God does not intend for marriages to be like the one which you just described.

    Take care!

    Val

    P.S. Thanks for what you wrote on my blog the other day - it would be so cool if our kids could meet!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    That is so sad...

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said…

    I stopped and prayed as soon as you requested. Only God can change us and He made us, so for Him that is not too difficult at all.

    thanks for visiting my blog and for the encouraging comments! take care and God bless!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home